CTI "Diophantus" new building
In March 2005, with the support of the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs CTI "Diophantus" acquired its very own premises. It moved into the new facilities in September 2005. The new building is located on the University of Patras Campus and is named in honour of the late professor Demitrios Maritsas, former director of the Institute who was the inspiration behind the idea and played a leading role in the efforts for the Institute to one day acquire its own facility.
This technically contemporary building with its modern architectural design is situated on 10,000 m2 of land granted by the University of Patras in 1989 for this purpose. The building is an ultra-modern structure, designed according to international standards and outfitted with state of the art technical systems that support advanced and efficient scientific research and the use of local resources. The building extends across 6 levels, with a total surface area of 4,650 m2 and features an automated operational control system, conference rooms, training and presentation rooms, a modern amphitheatre with a seating capacity for 132 people and providing multi-point conferencing with on-line video-conferencing, a safe and ultramodern computer centre, many auxiliary rooms and a gymnasium for the personnel.
The new premises will house all CTI "Diophantus" 's services and departments and will contribute to the effective implementation of its activities, as well as to its ongoing development. It is designed to promote collective work (within the Research Units and InfoSoc Sectors and among them) while at the same time it reinforces personal research. The building provides for 238 working positions.
CTI "Diophantus"'s new building represents the fulfillment of the vision long held by its management and personnel, which was made possible with the support of the leadership of the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs.
How to reach CTI "Diophantus" new building
The CTI "Diophantus" new building is reachable from the Achaia Beach Hotel
1. By Patras Suburban Railway. From the Hotel (point A at map) walk for about 3 minutes to point B. You have to cross the street carefully and go to point C At the station "Kastellokampos" (point C) there is a BUS connection to reach University (the cost of the ticket is 1.40 Euros). The first bus to University is at 06:45 and the last at 22:47 every 60'. Timetable in greek
The two stations of the bus, "Pedagogiko" and "Pritania" are about minutes away from the CTI building, on foot.
2. By taxi: ask the driver (most probably not speaking English) to take you to the university (PANEPISTIMIO). When reaching the campus, ask him to follow the street (KAZANTZAKI str.) towards the IFIGENEIA restaurant. The isolated building at the top of the hill is the building of CTI. (the cost from the ACHAIA Beach Hotel it is about 4,50 Euros).
The CTI "Diophantus" new building is reachable from down-town Patras
1. By Patras Suburban Railway. From Patras to Kastellokampos, the first train is at 06:30 and the last at 22:30 every 60'. At the station "Kastellokampos" there is a BUS connection to reach University (the cost of the ticket is 1.40 Euros). The first bus to University is at 06:45 and the last at 22:47 every 60'. Timetable in greek
2. By taxi: ask the driver (most probably not speaking English) to take you to the university (PANEPISTIMIO). When reaching the campus, ask him to follow the street (KAZANTZAKI str.) towards the IFIGENEIA restaurant. The isolated building at the top of the hill is the building of CTI. (the cost from Patras' center is 7-10 Euros).
3. By Bus: ask at the hotel reception to give you directions to the closest bus station for bus No. 6 going to the University (PANEPISTIMIO). You must buy a ticket before getting on the bus. Bus tickets are sold at kiosks. Get off at the first stop in the University Campus and walk along the direction of the bus. After 100m you will encounter the main crossing of the campus (you will see a small church on your right). Keep walking straight ahead (this is Kazantzaki Str.). After 900m, you will encounter the building of CTI at your left.
4. By car from down-town Patras (hotel): locate AG. ANDREOU street (second parallel street from the sea) and drive along it. At some point you will encounter a sign "National Road Patras - Athens", follow it by turning left, and follow the similar signs (or signs to Athens or Athina) until you are on the National Road (highway) from Patras to Athens. After entering the highway, follow the signs to the University of Patras: turn tight to the second traffic light after entering the highway, left at the next crossing, and then right after about 700m (after passing the Indoors Stadium). If you haven't miss any sign, you will cross a river at some point. After crossing the bridge, you are entering the campus. Keep driving straight ahead. Turn right at the first roundabout. At the (functioning) traffic light you have to turn left (this is the main junction of the university with a small church on your left). This is KAZANTZAKI street. Keep driving straight ahead. The isolated building at the top of the hill is the building of CTI.